Friday, July 3, 2015

First things first, Potty Training! :/

Mica is now a part of the family and thriving but there is just one slight problem.......She is a stuck up puppy!!! lol Now I know I am part to blame for spoiling her but how was I not supposed to want to cuddle her all day when she looks like a little marshmallow panda. lol

When she first came home to us it was November in Chicago so the snow in our backyard was about waist deep and Mica was up to my ankles if that. At first she wouldn't dare go down the stairs so after picking her up, she dove into the snow and I damn near lost her. When I got her out and she finally got the hang of this snow thing seeing as she was a Floridian lol She used the bathroom just fine and I thought to myself, this is going to be a piece of cake.
It was, if the cake peed and pooped in my front porch. :/

It was going fantastic until the snow melted and it became a muddy, wet, nasty mess in my backyard.
This little girl does not like to get dirty or wet if it is raining. She doesn't mind using the bathroom in snow but if it is raining she gives me a look as to say -
"You got to be kidding me!" 

She wont dare have an accident in her cage or in any of the bedrooms but if she is left unattended and the weather conditions are not to her liking Mica will make a pit stop where she can lol
Don't get me wrong I completely understand she's a puppy and just like kids they make mistakes. So of course I reprimanded her and when she does go outside I always praise her with treats.

Now at nine months she is doing very well, rarely has an accident but when she does I can always find her peeking around the corner because she knows she is in trouble. (she usually hides in my Dads closet when I'm done cleaning up her mess lol) She is slowly but surely getting over the whole fear of rain and dirt thing. Sometimes when it rains I run outside with her just to show her Mommy can do it too.  :)

Some tips I have for potty training a puppy is....CONSISTENCY!
Since I was working during the day and had to rely on my family it was hard for me because I take her training very seriously, she is way to smart for it be squandered on nothing. So after me taking her out every couple of hours all night and once in the morning before I left for work is was up to my family to keep it up. They did for the most part lol but that can throw a puppy off, they don't know if it is OK or not and you always have to show them that their bathroom is outside no matter what!

Dedication is key for your puppy's development and your sanity lol

For me crate training at night was best because it shows her that is her bed and she wouldn't use the bathroom in her bed.

Take the puppy out every couple hours during the night. (they will let you know if you don't lol)

Take them out the first thing in the morning.

Be aware of them eating and drinking because I know for Mica she would use the bathroom about 10-20 minutes when she was 4-7 months and now 30-45 minutes after she eats or drinks at 9 months.

And finally be consistent in discipline, good or bad. If they use the bathroom inside and not on a puppy pad (I didn't use them, personally don't like them.) Let them know they did a bad things and punish them. Thirty minutes in the crate did the trick because she loved being out and about. If they use the bathroom outside be EXCITED! Tell them your happy and they will be too and want to do it again!

This are tips and tricks that have helped me and I am just sharing how I am getting Mica to 100% potty trained. I hope these tips help and the story was enjoyable!
Thanks for reading! (Anyone :)  )

My Dad laying by her crate while she slept at 4 months.

Mica now at nine months. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment